Hydro-technical constructions

The Hydro-Power Plant “Olszna” in Stara Oleszna

The first private power plant in Stara Oleszna, which was situated on the right bank of the Bóbr river, was opened in 1910 as a support for the local paper mill. At that time, there was a weir built and an 850 meters long approach flume dug up. There were two Francis’s turbines installed in the plant based on a four meters drop and a 9.4 m3/s and 10 m3/s discharge of water. Eleven years later there was another turbine installed enabling a joint power of 1,2 Megawatts and 30.7 m3/s discharge of water (water-flow)...

The Janatův Mlýn, Buřany, No. 37, Jablonec nad Jizerou

Milling is one of the oldest trades. It resulted from ever-present farming and the difficulty in transporting grain over longer distances. There was a mill in almost every larger village, especially where there were plentiful supplies of water. In the past there were mills at almost every corner in Horní Jizera and the Czech Paradise. The clatter of the water mill died away over time, and many mills were replaced with glass polishing workshops and textile factories...

The Josefův Důl Reservoir Lies on the the River Kamenice

The reservoir was created where, at the beginning of the 20th century, the Polubný Water Board, led by the industrialist W. Ried, had originally planned to build a reservoir on the river Kamenice. After the dam had burst on the White Desná all preparatory work on the project stopped. Plans for a reservoir were revisited in the 1960s, when the supply of drinking water to Liberec and Jablonec was getting low...