Glass and ceramics

The Glass Museum, Kamenický Šenov

Kamenický Šenov holds a special place in the history of glassmaking. The early development of glassmaking is closely connected with the establishment in1530 of a glassworks by Pavel Schürer in Falknov. As glass working developed, so did trade. There was a dramatic increase in business in the 1750s when Czech glassmakers and traders began to establish their own ...

The Glass Museum, Nový Bor

The museum is housed in a building on the east side of the town square (No. 105). Glassworks first began appearing in the countryside around Nový Bor as early as the 15th century, and in the 1750s trade in glass objects started to grow significantly. In 1754 the first guild of glass traders was established, and, as an influential association, managed the export of glass overseas. By the 18th century Nový Bor, the smallest town in the empire, had become a famous glass-producing town. The Glass Museum was established in 1893 and was housed in the Town Hall...

The Jílek Brothers’ Glassworks, Kamenický Šenov 687

In 1905 Antonín Jílek and Franz Vetter built a glassworks for the manufacture of crystal and opal glass in the north of the town opposite the Lower Station buildings. Antonín Jílek was responsible for the technical management of the plant. The glassworks’ speciality was black Pyrolusite glass and other dark coloured glass. Upon the departure of Franz Vetter, Antonín´s...