Glass and ceramics

The School of Applied Arts, Železný Brod

The origins of glass-making in Železný Brod date back to the second half of the nineteenth century and the manufacture of small glass items. The town became famous mainly due to art glass production, together with the founding of the School of Applied Arts in 1920. Construction of the school was granted by the town council the next year. The building was designed by Viktor Šulc and Josef Vondráček from Prague. Construction itself was undertaken by local builders Karel Hlavatý and Otto Ressler, and Albert Vosátka from Velké Hamry. Work was begun in the spring of 1924 and the building was officially opened towards the end of 1925...

The Spider Glass Studio, Heřmanice No. 7

Heřmanice, a border hillfoot village near the Polish German border nestles in the broad valley of the Heřmanice stream near Frýdlant. The first written records of the settlement date from 1391 in connection with the merchants’ path to Zittau, which passes through the village. Traditional glass crafts from the Lusatian Mountains did not appear here until the establishment of the Spider Glass Studio in 1990...

The Stained Glass, Sklovitráž, Janov 27

Stained glass – coloured windows held in place with lead - has been produced in Borsk for both ecclesiastic and other public buildings around the world since the end of the 19th century. Growth in production came in the 1950s with the upsurge of interest in the use of stained glass techniques in both historic and modern architecture. At about this time the Ateliér Vitráže (stained glass studio) was established in Nový Bor as a specialized workshop. At the end of the 20th century, a time of economic change when many businesses were pushed under, new companies were formed, based on the traditions of glass making...