Road and rail transport

The Railway Station in Węgliniec

The history of the railway in the Lower Silesia region started at the end of the second half of the XIX century. The first railroad was built on the route from Wrocław to Oława, which was also the first section of the future Upper-Silesian Railway dated back 1842. The next line was built a year later in the direction of Sudety to Świebodzice...

The Railway Viaduct at the Mouth of the Borowy Jar

In 1866 there was a first railway connection built in Jelenia Góra. The Silesian Mountain Railway connected the town with Dresden via Zgorzelec. A year earlier, there was a stony viaduct construction accomplished on this line, which was built over the Bóbr river at the south mouth of the Borowy Jar (it is being created by water flowing through the hard granite gneiss of the Pogórze Izerskie). The construction was 167 meters long and its shape resembled the Roman aqueducts...

The Railway Viaduct in Zgorzelec – Goerlitz

At the end of the first half of the XIX century, on the Prussia territory, the Lower Silesian-Markish Railway (Niederschelsich-Moerkichen Eisenbahngesellschaft) was built. Its main task on the “national scale” was the creation of the railway tracks between Wrocław and Berlin with a branch track leading from Węgliniec to Dresden (Saxony at that time). On these tracks there were built 1225 bridges and culverts including the biggest viaducts in Germany of that period: in Bolesławiec on the Bóbr river and in Zgorzelec on the Nysa Łużycka river...