Mines and post-mining excavations, underground constructions

The Colourful Lakelets

In the Rudawy Janowickie, south of Wieściszowice and on the north-east slope of the Wielka Kopa there are excavations of the pyrite slates mines that date back to the end of the XVIII century. In 1785 the “Nadzieja” (Hoffnungsgrube in German) mine was opened there. Eight years later and 400 meters above, the “Nowe Szczęście” (Neu-Gluckgrube in German) mine was created. After that, in 1796 another mine “Gustav” was opened and was situated 600 meters above the “Nowe Szczęcie”. All of the mines were the opencast mines with a depth of up to 70 meters...

The Gold Mine”Aurelia” in Złotoryja

The first great “gold-rush” in the Złotoryja region took place at the turn of the XI and the XII centuries. The area situated in the Kaczawa River valley was one of the richest in auriferous sand deposits places in Europe (they held approximately 0.15 to 0.2 grams/ton of gold). The annual output of a pure gold was 50 kilograms. The settlement was assigned the city rights in 1211 what makes Złotoryja the oldest Polish town. The excavation of gold was finished after the Napoleonic Wars...

The Gypsum and Anhydrite Mine “Nowy Ląd” Ltd. – Niwnice

Niwnice is a village situated in the Lwówek Śląski district, which was created from a connection of two villages called Bartniki and Nowy Ląd. The oldest historical monuments there are the late-Romanesque church under the invocation of Saint Hedwig, the Nostitz’s Palace dated back to XVII century and the two Renaissance mansions. Furthermore, there is the Gypsum and Anhydrite Mine “Nowy Ląd” in the nearby area...