Food industry, breweries

The Salt House – Lubań

The “Salt House”, which is located in the west part of the old town on the Strażacki Square in Lubań, is also referred to as the “Grain House”. It is one of a few such well preserved warehouses built in the cities in the Lower Silesia. It was built between 1537 and 1539 thanks to the Town Councils’ funds and it was used to store the imported goods, especially grain and salt. It was constructed between the defensive walls (the internal and the external), that is why its massive construction was probably also adapted for the defensive purposes...

The Town Baths, Nové Město pod Smrkem, Ludvíkovská 38

Nové Město pod Smrkem was established in 1584 as a centre for miners that here mined tin and other non-ferrous metals. With the granting of town rights it was also awarded the right of bathing as a method of permitted public health care. This could only be carried out by the bath keeper and field surgeon with the consent of the lordship and the town. The first reference to the baths dates back to a purchase contract from 1601. Georg König, to whom the town sold the right to run the baths, then became the licensed owner of the baths between 1644 and 1683...