Other attractions of technique and industry

The Power Plant Turów

The power plant was built between 1959 and 1971. At the time it was opened it was the biggest lignite power supplied power plant in Europe and its six power units produced power of 2000 Mega Watts. Ten thousand workers were employed to build the plant. A gigantic modernization of the power plant’s technical appliances took place between 1995 and 2004 and cost 1.6 billion USD. 30 % of the whole amount was invested from the initial capital of the company. In order to protect the environment, the high-performance electrofilters have been installed...

The “Saint Luke Watermill” in Szklarska Poręba.

In the end of the XIX century Szklarska Poręba was well known as the tourism and recreation resort. At that time, there were also artists settling under the Szrenica Mountain, who formed the famous artistic colony. At the beginning, the artists met in the guests’ house of Carl and Gerhart Hauptmann in Szklarska Poręba Średnia. In 1922 the “Kunstlervereinigung St. Lukas in Ober-Schreiberhau” (Saint Luke’s Artists Association in Szklarska Poręba Górna) was established and grouped dozen or so artists and sculptors fascinated with the Karkonosze Mountains...

The “Valonian Trail” in Szklarska Poręba.

The Valonians living and working in the Karkonosze and the Izera Mountains were referred to as: “…all foreign Venetians, Florentines and other Valonians, who, as a mountain people, were good at glass-making and were exploring the mountains in search of stones”...