The Gypsum and Anhydrite Mine “Nowy Ląd” Ltd. – Niwnice

Niwnice  is  a village situated in the Lwówek Śląski district, which  was  created  from
a connection of two villages called Bartniki and Nowy Ląd. The oldest historical monuments there are the late-Romanesque church under the invocation of Saint Hedwig, the Nostitz’s Palace dated back to XVII century and the two Renaissance mansions. 
Furthermore, there is the Gypsum and Anhydrite Mine “Nowy Ląd” in the nearby area.
The gypsum exploitation started here in approximately 1700. Between 1826 and 1830 two new stone-pits were opened. Their first owner was the Nostitz -Rieneck family. In 1860 the plant was bought by the Dutch princes - von Nassau, and after that it was re-bought by Friedrich der Niederland zu Haag. In 1870 the gypsum roasting plant with shaft furnaces was built. In 1888 the plant was bought by Alfred von Wietersheim.  Under  his  supervision,  the  gypsum  output was  increased  and  used 
to produce a sulfuric acid and a surgical plaster. On the other hand, during World War  I, the output was also used as a fortification building material.
From 1946 the mine was operating as the Gypsum Factory. In 1955 the new national enterprise   called   the  Gypsum   and   Anhydrite   Mine   “Nowy Ląd”   was   created
and located next to the mine. Both the factory and the plant were united in 1959  and in 1961 the “Nowy Ląd” mining area was established. Its surface was approximately 1.37 km2 and there were mainly the gypsum and anhydrite ores exploited there. Furthermore, the underground exploitation of the deposits started. In 1975 the mining area was expanded to 2.8 km2 and it included the perspective deposits called Radłówka (its exploitation started in 2005). In 1996 the Treasury shares were bought by the Joint Stock Company called the Silesian Investment Partnership,  which  was  a  part ofn the  KGHM  Polska  Miedź  Joint  Stock  Company. 
In 1998 the Private Company called the Glue and Mortar Production Plant “Atlas” became the new owner of the plant.

It  was  thoroughly  modernized  and a  new   gypsum  processing  plant  was  opened 
in 2007. Furthermore, there was also a new plaster mill opened in 2010.
At present the mine excavates and processes the anhydrite and the unique white Zechstein gypsum. Besides the excavations, the plant also produces materials based on the mine’s output. The company operates on the domestic and the international markets and is practically the only producer of the technical plasters in Poland (medical and dental plasters, plaster of Paris). However, its main products are the binding materials used in the building industry.
After the disassembly of the calcite processing mill in 2007, the mine authorities decided  to  reconstruct the original  furnace  and  its  supportive  technical  devices.
It was done in order to present the gypsum roasting processes in a straightforward way understandable to everybody.
Furthermore, there was also a reconstruction of one of the only two narrow-gauge locomotives in Poland done (along its carriages), which was used to transport the output, wood and explosives to the mine.

Edited by Ivo Łaborewicz
Translation: Andrzej Rudkowski

www.nowylad.com.pl/

www.atlas.com.pl/kopalnia-gipsu-anhydrytu-nowy-lad.html

pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niwnice

www.redbor.pl/wyprawy/lokalizacje/niwnice.htm

Bibliography:
Słownik geografii turystycznej Sudetów, t. 2, M-Ż Pogórze Izerskie, pod red. Marka Staffy, Wrocław 2003

Gallery

On the map

Panorama 3d