The Textile factory, Chrastava, Frýdlantská 80

The 19th century was a time of major change in Chrastava. It was a time when the small town gradually became an important centre of industry.The first factory was built in 1815, the first Pollack textile plant. Other factories followed, mostly spinning factories and weaving mills. Ignaz Klinger from Nové Město then expanded the original Kasper weaving mill at the beginning of the 20th century, turning it into a textile complex for the production of woollen goods.
Altschul and Sons, a company founded in 1848, also built a cotton spinning factory on the edge of Horní Chrastava. This building is the oldest part of the existing complex in Frýdlantská Street, home to a boiler house with chimney that dates back to 1893.

Another stage in the development of the factory came with the building of a spinning factory with classic hall and cast-iron pillars that is joined to a new engine room hall, built in the Art Nouveau style at the beginning of the 20th century. The place was closed between 1933 and 1935 as a result of the economic crisis, but Textilana Liberec reintroduced production after 1945. Production technology was modernised during the 1960s and building improvements made to the exterior. The aim was to preserve the facade and only the windows of the new spinning factory were provided with new frames and glass. The current owner now focuses on the production of technical fabrics.

Edited by OHK v Jablonci nad Nisou
Translation: EDUCA – vzdělávací centrum, s.r.o., Jablonec nad Nisou

 

Gallery

On the map