The Textile factory – Nové Město pod Smrkem, Frýdlantská 422

The most prominent person in the textile industry in Nové Město pod Smrkem was Ignaz Klinger, who began as the foreman of the Blumrich textile plant in Frýdlant for the Horní Řasnice area. His based his own success in Nové Město pod Smrkem after going it alone in 1839, opening a factory by today’s 1/29 road to Frýdlant v Čechách in 1862. At the beginning he used and collected for subsequent alteration homemade, hand-weaved woollen fabrics. He then installed mechanical weaving looms at the newly-built factory in 1868. This was followed in 1901 by the Anton Raaz spinning factory and weaving mill that had been in operation since 1875, the most northerly building in the complex, with the water tower. The company supported the creation of a volunteer fire brigade after a fire in 1876 and built houses for its workers in 1896. Then at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries it became the biggest enterprise in the Frýdlant area, with its 15 steam engines. It was also at this time that the largest building modifications and additions to the complex were done. This is seen in  the  magnificent  design  of  the  facades,  the  interior  furnishings  of  the administra-

tion building and the largest multi-storey building, built in 1908 lengthwise along the road. The Klinger Company was prominent in the overall growth and development of the town: one of the water reservoirs that were used in production even became an outdoor pool for the public. The company also contributed towards the construction of the town baths and supported the cultural and social life of the town. It became part of Lanex during the Second World War, after which it was a prominent enterprise in Textilana, which remained open until 2003. Production stopped between 2005 and 2006 and subsequent owners were unsuccessful with a new production programme. Those interested in technical monuments can still see the monumental, architecturally interesting complex of textile plants and come face-to-face with well-preserved, used records of the trails of a successful entrepreneurial family that became an important part of the development of the town. It is certainly worth seeing the Klinger family grave, a small mausoleum of exceptional architectural value in the local cemetery, and indeed the town baths.

Edited by OHK v Jablonci nad Nisou
Translation: EDUCA – vzdělávací centrum, s.r.o., Jablonec nad Nisou

Gallery

On the map